My dog, Leo, will be our Grinchy reindeer guide today
Of course, please know that I am in no way trying to offend anyone with my opinions. I’m only doing this purely for fun, and I hope we can just all laugh about it. If you love a series or character mentioned here — that’s great!
Ok, let’s begin. *cracks knuckles*
1. Half of the lights on the Christmas tree are burnt out : Name a book/series/character that started out good but then went downhill
The Archie Sheridan/Gretchen Lowell series by Chelsea Cain. This series has 6 books and it is about a detective who falls victim to a very beautiful and manipulative serial killer. As the series continued on, the crimes got more and more ridiculous, to the point where I couldn’t even take it seriously anymore. Also there is hardly any closure by the end of the series.
2. Annoying Great Aunt Sally who will not leave you alone : Name a book that you didn’t enjoy, but everyone else seems to love so it never goes away
Three Dark Crowns by Kendare Blake. I have such strong feelings about this book, and they are not good feelings. First of all, let me say that I really love Blake’s previous duology, Anna Dressed in Blood. I don’t know wtf happened, but her writing style turned… uhh… strange? in Three Dark Crowns. The world building was soooo painfully slow. There were side characters who I didn’t give a shit about. I couldn’t sympathize with any of the 3 main characters. Did I end up reading the sequel, One Dark Throne? Yes. I did end up liking it A LOT more than Three Dark Crowns. So, I guess that’s a plus.
3. Your pets keep knocking over the Christmas decoration : Name a character that kept messing things up for everyone else (can’t pick a villain!)
Clary from The Mortal Instruments. She’s such a twit in the beginning of this series.
4. You hear your parents putting out the presents and learn Santa isn’t real: Name a book you were spoiled for
Pretty much the entire A Song of Ice and Fire series.
5. It’s freezing outside: Name a main character you just couldn’t connect with
Mara Dyer from The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer trilogy. I know she’s an unreliable narrator, and we aren’t supposed to know exactly what is real and what isn’t. But… damn. I really sympathized with her in the first book, but then shit just wasn’t going ANYWHERE in the second book. And then she does some pretty crazy shit in the third book. I was wtf-ing the whole time.
6. Mariah Carey’s ‘All I Want for Christmas is You’ and it’s giving you anti-romantic feelings : Name a couple you couldn’t stand
Aelin and Rowan from the Throne of Glass series. I know… controversial. Here’s the thing: I love this series. I even like Aelin. She gets a lot of hate, but I do relate to her a lot. I just do not ship her with Rowan. At all. He’s such a boring dud. I liked them so much better when they had a love/hate platonic relationship.
7. That scratchy homemade wool sweater you got for Christmas years ago but won’t get rid of : show some books that have been sitting on your shelves for a while, and you aren’t motivated to read, but you don’t have the heart to get rid of
8. Grandma Got Runover by a Reindeer: Name a character death you still are mad about (warn people for spoilers! You can also use TV or movie deaths)
I will forever be bitter about a certain father-figure male from Harry Potter.
9. The malls are overly crowded with holiday shoppers: Name a series that has too many books in it/went on too long
The Southern Vampire Series (aka Sookie Stackhouse, aka Trueblood). There are, what? Thirteen books? I’ve read them all except for the very last one. My brain cannot handle just one more. It’s run out of fucks to give.
10. The Grinch : Name a main character you HATE (No villains again!)
Juliette from Shatter Me. If it wasn’t for my love for Warner, I’d drop this series all together. A fourth book is due next year, and I’m going to read it for Warner. But seriously, if Juliette disappears all together, I won’t even be upset.
Ok, that’s it! 🙂 I hope this inspires you to do this tag as well! Again, this is all in good fun. Happy Grinchy Tagging to you all!