Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme created by The Broke and the Bookish in June of 2010 and was moved to That Artsy Reader Girl in January of 2018. There is a new topic each Tuesday, so check out her blog for more info!
This week is a freebie! That means there isn’t a designated topic and we got to create our own. I’m sure my topic has been done before but since I am new to Top Ten Tuesday, I’m going to share with you the books or series I want to read but I’m scared/intimidated to start. Either these books have a lot of hype or they’ve been sitting on my TBR shelf for forever!
1) The Classics: I have had these books for a while and I WANT to read them, but I know I will read through them very slowly since I’m not accustomed to the writing styles. So, naturally, I’ve avoided it. LOL.
2) The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss: I PROMISE I will read this, but the size and epic-ness high key intimidates me.
3) The Grisha Trilogy by Leigh Bardugo: I’ve put off this series because I’ve heard so many bad things about the third book. I adore Leigh’s writing so I want to read more from her, though. Do I go for it knowing the third book might let me down? Help!
4) Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon: Another series where the books are gigantic bricks which intimidates the crap out of me LMAO. I’ve even tried to listen to this on audio but the narrator isn’t my favorite. So, I will just read it but I am afraid it will put me into a reading slump due to its size. Why do I think these things to torture myself?!
5) Jackaby series by William Ritter: I received the first book as a Christmas gift and then I grabbed the other two during a Book Outlet sale. The paranormal/crime elements really intrigue me but it just keeps getting pushed aside for other books. *cries*
6) Renegades by Marissa Meyer: I loved The Lunar Chronicles so I was excited to grab Renegades. Then I heard some not-so-great reviews so I kept putting off reading it. I really don’t like to be swayed by poor reviews but it is hard to ignore sometimes. BUT! I WILL read it so I can form my own opinion!
7) The Jane Austen Collection: I’ve only read Pride and Prejudice, and I want to read her other works. Again, I know the writing style/language will take me a while to get through, so I’m afraid it’ll take me too long to read them.
8) The Stormlight Archive by Brandon Sanderson: I recently discovered Brandon Sanderson’s Mistborn trilogy and Warbreaker — and I am IN LOVE. I was nervous to start those, too, so I know I can take on another epic series. Again, the sheer size of The Stormlight Archive feels intimidating but this is something I highly want to read soon.
9) A Skinful of Shadows by Frances Hardinge: Shameful admission – this was a total cover buy (it is also stunning under the dust jacket). I’m really picky when it comes to fantasies with a paranormal twist, so that’s why I’ve been putting it off.
10) The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher: I’ve heard this series praised as the “adult version of Harry Potter” but there are so many books in the series which is why I’ve put it off for so long!
Do you have a stack of books that intimidate you? Let me know! 🙂